Anwar Ibrahim clears his first test as PM as a self imposed vote of confidence on his government passes. This, despite insinuations by Hamzah Zainuddin, the leader of the PN opposition of homosexuality by way of mentioning a scurrilous headline in the Italian Nova News.
Dapatocracy: A form of government wherein politicians are out for what they can get (dapat) for themselves. It is notable that the parties in the Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition, including the Democratic Action Party (DAP), have unconditionally backed their Prime Ministerial candidate, Anwar Ibrahim, in forming his Unity Government post GE15. When the cabinet line-up was announced, DAP only got 4 out of 28 positions. This is a sacrifice from the perspective of a party which won the largest quotient of Anwar’s 148 seat majority. They won a whopping 40 seats and, as such, can be said to be making a noble sacrifice. Indeed, it can be said that the DAP is not part of the Malaysian DAPatocracy. But what will become of this traditionally Chinese dominated multiethnic party, given the likely reactions of its base to the equally likely machinations of PH’s new fellows (UMNO, GPS, GRS) remains to be seen.
18. Autocracy: A form of government wherein a single person has unlimited power, usually but not necessarily a form of despotism. Malaysians might associate the term with the long reign of Mahathir Mohamad as Prime Minister, although his rule was effected under the auspices of Democracy..
Update 17. 12.2022: Some quarters are now suggesting that Anwar Ibrahim’s Memorandum of Agreement (MOA)signed with his Unity Government supporters on the eve of the vote of confidence on his new government, is a prelude to a new Malaysian Autocracy! The MOA allegedly contains a condition that misconstrues Article 49A of the Federal constitution as it refers to it as the basis for a clause that requires government MPs to vacate their seat if they vote against the prime minister. On the other hand one cannot but sympathize with the new PM in his desperate need to restrain Malaysian parliaments inherently amphibious condition – its tendency towards Katakcracy!
15. Gerontocracy:: A form of government in which the elderly rule, and of which, Malaysia is an exemplar, with Mahathir Mohamed holding the record for the world’s oldest Elected leader when he became Prime Minister in 2018 after GE14.
10. Economocracy: A form of government, dominated by ‘specialists’, driven by economic priorities and often leading to the sublimattion of sectional interests in public policy applied, purportedly, for the public good..
8. Theocracy: An archaic form of government, soon to make a comeback near you! In Malaysia, theocracy used to vie for power with ethnocracy but in GE15 these the forces pushing for these two systems of goverments have coalaced to an unprecedented degree.
6. Idiocracy: A form of government familiar to Malaysians. Beyond corruption and communal interests, it is carelessness, waste and stupidity that are the greatest impedements to the achievement of good governance. Of course, there is no denying that corruption and the shameless expresession of communal inerests can lead to Idiocracy.
You must be logged in to post a comment.