In the documentary on the making of his film ‘Nostalghia’ (1983) titled ‘Voyage in Time’ (1983), Andrei Tarkovsky is asked to give some words of advice to young film directors. He addresses ‘cinema’ as a serious art and so, here, I recall his advice as it might apply to the broader category ‘art.’ The following restatement is fundamental my understanding of the true purpose and nature of art, and to the proper ambition of the artist –
- Do not separate your art from the life you live.
- It is required to contribute your own self to your art.
- Be morally responsible for what you do while making your art.
- Art requires sacrifice of your self.
- You should belong to your art, your art does not belong to you.